Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Analog Gets a bit Cheaper

And a bit easier! I say this in the fond way, of course!

I bought my Kodak Duraflex II last summer in a little antiques store in Lake Placid complete with the intention of buying film for it, and experimenting. However, months later, before I'd ever had the chance to use it, someone sent me an article on how to use it cheaper, easier, and faster.

Each individual photo for old cameras like these cost about two bucks a shot these days, on a roll of only anywhere between eight and twelve. I've only ever been able to find one company who sells the right role of film for all my old cameras, formats which are almost extinct these days (except to collectors and hobbyists like myself) - a place based solely in Chicago. Costing me about sixteen dollars for a small roll in comparison to modern cameras, I've only ever shot about three or four roles amongst my five old cameras.

Though I was prepared to buy some old film, Lifehacker's article has showed me how to shoot with the instant gratification digital photography gives you. Using the terminology I'm now familiar with as TTV (through the viewfinder), it's as simple as shooting your digital camera through the view finder of the old Duraflex. It gives an old grainy look to your photos, and makes even boring tourist shots look a little more nostalgic.

Though the article explains how to build a simple light-blocking lens to connect your digital to the Duraflex, I've so far managed to be successful without making one. I intend to when I get the time, but for now I've simply shot through the view finder for fun, retro results. Some of them end up looking quite dream-like, and I've had a lot of fun with the low quality, and of course my favorite - the square format.

In the past few days, I started with my back yard, but managed to bring along the Duraflex to our touristy trip to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. While we showed my little cousin the history of the island, I tailed somewhere in the back snapping shots with the old camera around my neck hanging at my stomach, and the other digital pointed at the viewfinder. I'm sure I got looks from all the gangly middle schoolers hopping about the tours, but it came out with some fun shots.

To share, here are a few of my favorites:







No comments:

Post a Comment